c

Monday, December 29, 2008

Brunei

Shots from my trip to Brunei


'Ambuyat' is Brunei's 'native' food. Ambuyat is also known as 'edible glue'. It is a sago 'glue' served with a piquant hot sauce which one has to twirl around a pair of conjoined bamboo sticks, dip in the sauce and swallow. The 'trick' to eating 'ambuyat' is not to chew but to allow the gob to slide down the throat. 'Ambuyat' eating requires practice and is only for those who dare to try new things when in a new country. The dish is an acquired taste and those who have tried it usually comeback for more


Tumpi, another national dish






The Omar Ali Saiifuddien Mosque, National Mosque of Brunei,
a national landmark.



The only McD in Brunei

5 Comments:

Blogger KMJ said...

Beautiful scenic shots of Brunei. I liked the food pics too. Would try the tumpi, but I don't know if I'd be brave enough for the ambuyat. :) Happy New Year, Z.

January 02, 2009 9:00 AM  
Blogger zbjernak said...

ambuyat...taste like goo..a little weird but nice..

much easier to eat comparing to the balut or the spider

January 04, 2009 2:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

im looking fwd to seeing more of brunei, and hopefully visit the country one day soon. btw that food really looks like glue, but yr description makes it so good! :)

January 18, 2009 3:17 PM  
Blogger Sidney said...

This "Ambuyat" stuff is really looking like glue! ;-)
Was it good?

March 03, 2009 11:52 AM  
Blogger Bebs Oblivion said...

Hey guys and girls! Glad that one of you visited Brunei. I love Brunei! I dont think any of you go to Kuala Belait town -- it is a bit dead but something different compare to the capital city, Bandar Seri Begawan (BSB for short). I am a Bruneian and am very impressed with people who actually try and like ambuyat. I myself have it now and again not my favorite, blame advertisement on fast food! If any of you wants to know about Brunei more, let me know! :) x

November 21, 2009 1:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home